[kj] Getting in touch w/ jaz and his likelihood of responding

Alex Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 12 15:40:52 EDT 2008

At this stage of the proceedings, I'm pretty far removed from the existing Punk community --- is this DIY/egalitarian aesthetic still the norm?

Another name-droppy true fact: MARTIN ATKINS also called my home and talked to my Mom. He was NOT so polite. I'd interviewed him over the phone for a go-nowhere music rag called EXIT circa EXTREMITIES. He was -- as always -- very chatty. A week or so later, he called looking for me and again -- I wasn't home. Turns out, Martin was under the impression that I'd be writing up an article for a *DIFFERENT* magazine called EXIT (a more art/counter-culture mag with an odd fondness for gratuitous swatika use). He called me up to pitch a fit about how he'd be led to believe something or other else, and ended up chatting with my dear ol' long-suffering Mom. I called back the number and spoke to Martin, explaining that I was -- at the time -- just a hapless music journalist trying to provide coverage for my favorite band and what exactly was so wrong about the article going in this OTHER Exit magazine? He calmed down. If I recall correctly, the EXIT I was writing for fucking FOLDED before the article could ever actually run.

Ah, the fast-paced, exciting life of the slackjawed music journalist. Good times.

A in NYC