[kj] Congrats Obama

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 4 17:06:23 EDT 2008

Yeah, Saddam was a thug, but a secular thug, not a religious zealot or
Jihadist. he likened himself more to Stalin than to any sort of holy
warrior, and thrugh his heavy hand prevented what the US invasion
unleashed. In fact, most will probably remember Saddam's right-hand man
Tariq Aziz was a Catholic, not even a Muslim.

Bin laden and Saddam were at sword points. Bin Laden wanted the ungodly
secular regime of Saddam destroyed so that he and his zealots could
restore the historic Islamic caliphate to the country. Everyone always
asked "Why did bin laden attack the US? What does he want/ WHAT DOES HE
WANT?" When bn Laden qute clearly announced in message after message
what his demands were. These were and are readily available, translated
into English, and newspaper printed them.

People in the US apparently did read them, because they preferred to
think bin Laden jst "hated freedom" or something. In fact, bin Laden's 3
demands were 1) removal of US bases from Saudi Arabia [which he got, so
that's one for Osama] 2) end of US support for Israel, and 3)
restoration of Islamic caliphate to its historic place in Baghdad. Bin
Laden has one out of 3 of these already, and he's closer to getting the
3rd one now than he was when Hussein kept bin Laden's group, as well as
the Kurds and others, suppressed.

Now that Turkey, a US ally, is suppressing the Kurds, it's okay. But
Saddam doing it? What an evil man.

-Oliver