[kj] OT: "Punk" band Yellowcard to tour Mid-East as part of USO"support the troops" campaign

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 9 11:20:16 EST 2008

Maybe I shouldn't have got the pot stirring so early this morning (in
the US).

I just read George Berger's excellent (but sorrily out of print) Story
of Crass, an Xmas gift from my gf, and reading it has definitely
re-emboldened my thinking on this kind of stuff. Their "Sheep Farming in
the Falklands" single was essentially a dig at Brit troops that
participated in the Falklands invasion -- and about 1,100 of them died
"defending" that lump of rock. For the US, Afghanistan is one thing,
Iraq is another.

The idea in the US that people "have to go into the Army to go to
college," etc, reminds me of the arguments that strippers make that they
have to become strippers to support themselves through school. If that's
true -- how come so many don't do it and also get trough school, from
just-as-modest backgrounds? I'd rather folks be strippers, in any event.
There is America Corps, a domestic US civil service organization, that
offers a lot of the same college money, career benefits, etc., that the
US army does, in any event. But folks choose the army instead.

I'm sure Rollins hates Bush, etc. But he went to Iraq and released
something the title of which is obviously exploiting Abu Ghraib and
builds his "I'm an extreme, hard dude" image.

-Oliver

*Rollins Returns to Middle East

*/Thu May 13, 9:07 PM ET By John D. Luerssen /

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Iconic punk vocalist Henry Rollins (news) will
participate in a USO/Armed Forces Entertainment tour of the Persian Gulf
this month as part of National Military Appreciation Month. The singer,
author, actor and monologist, who traveled to Afghanistan and Qatar last
December as part of a meet-and-greet with troops, will again offer a
boost of encouragement to soldiers stationed in the Gulf.

[...]