[kj] BPF - "THE LEAST GOOD DRUMMER THEY HAD"

sade1 saulomar1 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 29 16:07:25 EST 2008

> "I think he's the least good drummer they had.

I'd want to know what KJ cds that commenter has listened to for him
to arrive at that conclusion.

I am writing strictly as a listener and a fan, and not some holder of esoteric, obscure n' arcane knowledge of the JokE. whatever.....

Big Paul is the greatest and the most KJ-spirited of drummers for the albums he played on and where their music was at those times (I'm liking Benny lots, tho'). Also Martin Atkins did a kick-ass job for the cd he worked on and was completely complementary and complimentary(def.1a,b) to the cd and style KJ had at that time.
Those 2 can't be directly compared, and i'm not entirely sure Atkins would've been as effective on Pandemonium.
That said i fully believe if 'Biggie Pauls' would've played on ExDAVRE, that he would've blown all the doors off their hinges wherever the cd gots played.

Biggie Paul's one flaw that I know of - and only because i used to DJ and i grew up w/music so my ears spot the little shit that most others miss - that i don't think even mattered much, was that he never kept an even beat throughout a song, ever, whether live or on cd.
BUT!
that's no necessarily a bad thing. In fact a perfect metronomic-precision beat gets really boring and really stale, and really very quick - which is why (among other reasons, true) most modern dance music ('cept the best n' most creative) "gets old" fast on the dance floor.
And besides, the whole band's playing was so aligned/synchronised/kept time that you can't tell Big Paul's strayed off-tempo.

Benny's good, and i like Grohl's work on "D-n-'R," and whatever the f!ck they were feeding Benny during the "Universe B" recording, keep feeding it to him while on tour.

Steve Hackett <thepunisher at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
"I think he's the least good drummer they had. It was never more apparent than when they brought in Atkins on Extremities. Everyone else they've employed, even the sterile drummer on Outside the Gates, is preferred to Big Paul."

read this surprising statement on the net today - discuss

(looking at the current state of things)

'Save me, save from Tomorrow..
I don't want to sail in this Ship Of Fools...!'