[kj] OT: Angry music

T.B. Partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Mon Feb 25 21:07:45 EST 2008

"Alexander Smith" wrote:

> Regarding the Cult, I liked everything up to and including SONIC

> TEMPLE, but it all turned pear-shaped after that. The eponymous

> "comeback" album (the one with the goat) had some fine moments on it

> as well. BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL has never been played more than two or

> three times on my disc player, alas -- it's not *bad*, but I just

> never really think about it. Haven't picked up the new one, and

> probably won't, I have to say.

> Still, love DREAMTIME, LOVE and ELECTRIC.

> Alex in NYC

I think the newest album is fairly weak, although as a single, "Dirty Little
Rock Star" still consistantly gets a lot of play from me.

Have you ever heard the "first" version of the Electric album, originally
called "Peace?" They basically recorded most of the songs in '86 which
later wound up on Electric with Steve Brown, the producer who did their
"Love" album. Problem is, they went completely over the top with a dense,
reverb/overdubbed "rawk" sound that depending on your tastes, is either an
interesting and even in some cases preferable alternative to Rick Rubin's
dry, homage to AC/DC production or a poor attempt at a cross between
Unforgettable Fire era U2 and Physical Graffitti era Led Zep (which they had
somewhat better success at on the Sonic Temple album). I really like the
Peace versions of Electric Ocean, Bad Fun and the non-album song Zap City.

T.B.