[kj] Thoughts on the remasters

Mark Kolmar mkolmar at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 16:23:43 EST 2008

As with the Manics' _The Holy Bible_, the best version probably would
have included some of both the mixes. The combination of mixes would
have added textural variety, in particular as a balance against the
otherwise odd sound of "A Southern Sky" and "Victory" (latter not on
vinyl). Each version has a different type of intensity that I cannot
really judge as better or worse on the whole.

The Kimsey mix of "Chessboards", as a prime example, brings out the
rhythmic and harmonic counterpoint between the guitar and keyboards,
and thus adds depth. The Kimsey mix of "Rubicon" brings a greater
heft. But I feel "Adorations" loses some essential atmosphere, even
if that same type of approach may sound syrupy as applied to other
songs on the album.

Restoration of the missing verse from "Love of the Masses" is most
welcome addition that gives the track better proportion. (I am
guessing that was originally edited for time on vinyl?)

Also, this new, "restored mixes" version strikes me as a bit of
revisionist history. That is not how the record sounded for the last
20 years, for good or bad. It might have been best to issue both sets
of mixes on a double disc set, which also would have left room for the
extant 12" mixes. Too bad the UK 12" version of "Sanity" did not make
it.

Having said all this, if I could only keep one edition, likely I would
choose the new remaster with some reluctance.

--Mark