[kj] Thoughts on the remasters

melinda grant hollytree1961 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 10 16:46:00 EST 2008

thoughts on the remasters---its about time ;D)))))))

i am happy with them all ;) yep its brief its sunday eve afterall what do you exspect!!> Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 15:23:43 -0600> From: mkolmar at gmail.com> To: gathering at misera.net> Subject: Re: [kj] Thoughts on the remasters> > As with the Manics' _The Holy Bible_, the best version probably would> have included some of both the mixes. The combination of mixes would> have added textural variety, in particular as a balance against the> otherwise odd sound of "A Southern Sky" and "Victory" (latter not on> vinyl). Each version has a different type of intensity that I cannot> really judge as better or worse on the whole.> > The Kimsey mix of "Chessboards", as a prime example, brings out the> rhythmic and harmonic counterpoint between the guitar and keyboards,> and thus adds depth. The Kimsey mix of "Rubicon" brings a greater> heft. But I feel "Adorations" loses some essential atmosphere, even> if that same type of approach may sound syrupy as applied to other> songs on the album.> > Restoration of the missing verse from "Love of the Masses" is most> welcome addition that gives the track better proportion. (I am> guessing that was originally edited for time on vinyl?)> > Also, this new, "restored mixes" version strikes me as a bit of> revisionist history. That is not how the record sounded for the last> 20 years, for good or bad. It might have been best to issue both sets> of mixes on a double disc set, which also would have left room for the> extant 12" mixes. Too bad the UK 12" version of "Sanity" did not make> it.> > Having said all this, if I could only keep one edition, likely I would> choose the new remaster with some reluctance.> > --Mark> > On Feb 4, 2008 5:48 PM, Alexander Smith <vassifer at earthlink.net> wrote:> >> > Conversely, the new mix of BTATS has given me a whole new appreciation for> > the record. If only they'd released it this way the first time around. Much> > cleaner, sharper, crisper....burlier. All the muddled studio syrup was> > excised. A huge improvement.> >> > Alex in NYC> _______________________________________________> Gathering mailing list> Gathering at misera.net> http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering