[kj] OT: Billy Bragg: Proud to meet the Queen, have symphonic works performed w/ his lyrics

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Tue Oct 16 16:26:24 EDT 2007

what's goin' on with Jaz and that high falutn '
"EU-Composer-in-Residence" stuff? Hmm? -Oliver]

Expanding his musical interests wider and deeper, I think it's brilliant
myself. Haven't got any of that stuff, but am keen to get the Symphonic
Led Zep, Oceania etc...I've heard some of the symphonic version of Kashmir
on Youtube and it sounds great to me...I tend to agree with him that all
the previous symphonic rock albums are trash (although I do think that
those symphonic / operatic elements in Queen, ELO, Beatles etc aren't too
bad).

I sat through a few songs of Metallica with an orchestra on telly a while
back and it was god awful (to me)...didn't enhance the music at all, quite
the opposite.