[kj] Johnny Depp/Dave Vanian

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 13 14:39:34 EST 2007

Another hugely influential band have been The Melvins. That influence
hasn't translated into money.

To wit: There was an old show on MTV where King Buzzo of The Melvins
took around a suitcase full of newspaper clippings of bands like Nirvana
who name checked them as being really influential. He asked realtors to
give him a tour of a mansion he was thinking of buying, stating he was a
well-known music star. At the end of the house tour, Buzzo declared,
"I'll buy it!" The realtor looked excited. Buzzo opened his suitcase of
newspaper/magazine clippings, and said, "Here -- I'd like to pay you
with my musical influence on people!"

The joke was, yeah, he apparently was influential to a lot of
good-selling bands, but had little money to show for it, so he was going
to see if he could cash in his cred for the house. The realtor was not
amused. I thought it was hilarious.

-Oliver