[kj] Johnny Depp/Dave Vanian

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 13 14:32:25 EST 2007

The Damned have already well earned their place in the annals of rock
history, let alone the pantheon of Punk Rock greats (first British
Punk band to issue an album). Their influence is massive, and they're
constantly name-checked in otherwise foreign quarters -- in the latest
issue of MOJO, Jimmy Page admits to being blown away by the Damned.
Sting continually cites "New Rose" as an all-time fave and Nick Mason
of the `Floyd even produced their second album. If it's one thing the
Damned haven't really been, it's ignored.

I could be completely wrong, but I really doubt that Dave gives a fuck
about his look being appropriated. And I can't think of a single
working musician -- save possibly Sioux, and she's well over it --
who'd want to take credit for the Goth aesthetic.

Alex in NYC