[kj] Johnny Depp/Dave Vanian

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 13 14:27:57 EST 2007

You're right, you can't copyright a look. That's why I mentioned
intellectual property in stage personas, and pointed out Paul Reubens'
stage persona of Peewee Herman. I.e. if someone else made a movie as
Pewee Herman, that'd be grounds for legal action, and not because
someone "copyrighted a look." Not surprisingly, that one flew right past
you!

As for the other stuff you mumbled about, that was already addressed in
the most recent response to Alex. Vanian's always struck me as a
low-key, modest guy -- the opposite of Jaz Coleman, in other words ;) --
and I also doubt he'd care much. This all stems from my own personal
wish that Vanian would receive more due for his part in the evolution of
the look and aesthetics of punk/goth/whatever than he's received.

-Oliver