[kj] American Hardcore documentary posted on YouTube

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 26 20:59:12 EDT 2007

I have the the disadvantage of not having read Stephen Blush's book,
however I do absolutely love No Trend, as well as United Mutation, who
from what I understand were two of the outcast sort of punky or even
no-wave-ish bands of the DC scene that did not click witht he GeorgeTown
Punks and the Dischord clique. "Hanging out at Georgetown...being punk
at Roy Rogers..." -- love that song, like Flipper or The Swans or
something to me.

I also like Vic Bondi a lot, as well. I do have _Banned in DC_, which
seems to me to be a good book (hey, it has pics of No Trend, albeit
barely). I have yet to read _Dance of Days_, also about the DC HC scene
fromt he 80s from what I understand. _American Hardcore_ (the movie)
won't please everyone. Everyone has a favorite band or scene from that
era that they feel is underrepresented or under appreciated. The no-wave
side of bands like United Mutation, No Trend or Dallas's own very cool
Stickmen with Rayguns (w/ Texas punk legend Bobby Soxx), who played a
similar style to No Trend, aren't mentioned at all. So, heck yeah, it
could have been better. Why so many punk bands from Austin, TX, were
fronted by fronted by gay men is never gone into, too. (MDC, Big Boys,
Dicks, etc.) You could really do a documentary on each and every band
that was briefly featured here, let alone the ones that weren't
mentioned. A whole bookshelf of documentaries, scene by scene or band by
band.

-Oliver