[kj] ot: good news!

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 20 14:25:20 EDT 2007

He could have been "genuinely funny" with a few zingers, but almost any
comic of any stripe is, here and there. Manning seems to have been in
possession of that mystical blank check called "working class
authenticity," which seems to be all one needs to cow critics into
submission. Even The Guardian complained about his "middle class
critics." OUCH. I still think of Larry the Cable Guy, who "uses
catchphrase humor, including 'Git-R-Done' (perhaps his most well-known),
as well as 'Lord, I apologize' and/or 'I don't care who you are, that's
funny right there!' after particularly egregious jokes."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_the_Cable_Guy#Catchphrases)

No one compared him to Hitler or Mein Kampf, for fuck's sake.. That
along with the hyperbole that fans of Manning imagine they're being
oppressed or repressed for liking him, like I said, is funnier than most
if not all the stuff Manning did. The guy just sucked.

-Oliver