[kj] Afro-Punk & Swiz

Devacor at aol.com Devacor at aol.com
Tue Feb 27 12:15:41 EST 2007

In a message dated 2/26/2007 9:08:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
vassifer at earthlink.net writes:

> Another one of my favorite hardcore bands, Swiz, who were were around

> from about 1987 to 1992, and from the Washington DC area, was

> headed up

> by Shawn Brown -- he happens to be African Amrican and has a killer

> voice often compared to Henry Rollins. Before Swiz he was briefly in

> DC's Dag Nasty, the band that had some ex-Minor Threat members in it.

> But they kicked Shawn out because his vocals were too "hard" and they

> wanted a more melodic approach. There is a rare-ish Dag Nasty

> 1985-1986

> CD that haas all of Dag Nasty's material with Shawn on vocals and it's

> way heavier than anything else Dag nasty ever did; they evolved

> into an

> uptempo popcore band after he left. Ironically, the CD with him on it

> was the first CD I ever purchased, back in the early 90s, and I was

> blown away.

> So, Shawn Brown went to Swiz, which had a little bit of NYHC in the

> mix

> (Gorilla Biscuits style), a little bit of post-hardcore, and really

> their own very cool thing going that's all their own. After Swiz,

> Shawn

> sang in Sweetbelly Freakdown (horrible band name), essentially a Swiz

> reunion band who put out one LP in 1997 that is actually pretty damned

> good. Then Brown went on to Jesus Eater for a few years, which were

> like a Rollins Band-meets-Helmet, heavier groove-type band with a hint

> of Black Sabbath (get Jesus Eater's LP, not their EP), but Jesus Eater

> also broke up. Now I think Shawn Brown is a tattoo artist in

> Maryland or

> something.

I lucked out living in the DC area as I actually caught the first Dagnasty
show ever (Shawn Brown singing)- they played a flurry of shows off the bat so
I saw them with Shawn singing 3-4 times.
there are some cuts from the first Dagnasty with smally singing that I
think are major classics- although I prefer shawn in the band- the latter
Dagnasty to me turned just awful.
I thought Swiz to be ok but they never got me off or anything. Yeah, now
Shawn works as a tattoo artist at a shop that a high school friend of mine owns.

Adam Helfer
President
Omkara World
_www.Omkara-World.com_ (http://www.omkara-world.com/)