[kj] Killing Joke- Buy or Die

Neil Perry neilfperry at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 7 09:17:16 EST 2007

Just saw this:

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2007624,00.html

'Apple boss calls for end to music download restrictions'

I think the depressing thing is that the 'music business' - ie the established
major labels - was so petrified by the digital age, and is now swimming
against the tide in a rather pathetic way. The campaign against
cassettes was huge and went on all the time and as you say
had no effect - and that was how I and my friends got to share new
music (and then we would run to the record shop to buy them after
we'd heard a taster).
I think the major labels will become nothing but back catalogues in the
next ten years - as technology improves and the world gets faster
connections, a lot of young bands will realise they don't need a
record label. And we as a generation are still fixated on owning
the 'physical' product, cd or vinyl, but I also think that will change -
future generations will collect music as mp3s only. The record industry
as we know it is in its dying days - but it could have been different
if it had had a different attitude towards the internet. DRM is a last gasp
attempt to hang onto something - but as usual it is short-sighted and
could actually be driving potential customers away. Well done, major labels!

Jerry Butson <jerry at fleamusic.com> wrote: This comes to the crux of what the (major) music companies are struggling with at the moment (while the independents and the artists just get on with it).

The major companies have been using DRM (or Digital Rights Management) to protect their content in the online World but there's evidence to suggest that it's actually stifling potential sales whilst p2p and mp3 trading continue unabated. There are differences of opinion as to the value of DRM and whether to continue protecting music in this way.

This is nothing new: ever since the cassette was launched the music biz has been banging on about not copying music whilst not being able to do a thing about it but their real beef nowadays is that the means of distribution has been pulled out from under them upsetting their cosy little cartel and they both failed to spot it and to get involved in the brave new world of online distribution until it was (almost) too late.

It can be argued that copying of music files denies the artist their income but it's always gone on and has not killed the business yet. What I think it comes down to is the consumers perception of value and fair play, not to mention the fact that physical bootlegs (like CDs) get sold for money...mp3s are shared freely.

The music biz should bite the bullet and accept that it ain't gonna go away and ultimately benefits them by fostering and propagating music saving them millions in promotion costs

Discuss