[kj] My Facebook

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 14 18:13:07 EDT 2007

At a job interview late last week, it was suddenly gleaned that we
(myself and the interviewer) were both big music fans. The
interviewer then asked: "Favorite band?" Obviously, without a
moment's hesitation, I said "Killing Joke, now and forever," to which
she replied: "80's Punk!!! Do you like any bands that are still
around???"

:::sigh:::

Alex in NYC

PS: I had another interview a day earlier with the culture editor of
a reputable media outlet, and we similarly ended up talking about
music. Turns out her husband is none other than Simon Reynolds, the
celebrated music critic who wrote the arguably authoritative post-
punk tome, "Rip It Up And Start Again" (75 pages devoted to Scritti
Politti, 9 pages devoted to Killing Joke).

On Aug 14, 2007, at 6:03 PM, B. Oliver Sheppard wrote:

> Just as many people think of Killing Joke as "some 80s band" that

> broke up probably around 1987 (seriously, I have encountered this

> sentiment more than I'd like to recount), Rudimentary Peni are also

> another band that are, yes, STILL AROUND. Their last EP, the 10-

> song "Archaic," came out in 2004.

> And I'll be damned if "Archaic" is not some very good stuff.

> Probably their best work since the 1980s. I think we're due for

> another Rudi Peni release any time now. They said they'd release a

> new EP every 3 years or so now that they're getting older and

> singer Nick Blinko's getting battier.

> -Oliver

> pssyche23 wrote:

>> I'm game if you're game Oliver ... I've also joined the

>> Rudimentary Peni group ... a fantastic emsemble, I was lucky to

>> pick up their 12 track debut 7" single at the time ... a truly

>> unique and wonderful sound (though it did not quite sound right on

>> the 2nd single with the Crass production) .. anyway, let's all

>> join up on Facebook ... it's kinda fun and it will look like we

>> have lots of cyber friends, as we have ... I've only got 6 at the

>> moment - with Oliver that will be 7 ... not that I'm interested in

>> all this "poking" malarky ... that sounds far too much like real

>> human contact ... LOL

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "B. Oliver Sheppard"

>> <bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net>

>>> http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?

>>> id=724731170&pwstdfy=889d6f18d708881b5d5add7866e74d6a (under