[kj] oliver u sound pissed ;-/

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 11 14:12:59 EDT 2007

Actually, I'm not mad; I just think I was mis-read.

Believe it or not, I can claim to have met John Lydon personally. I AM
FAMOUS. It was when he wrote that autobiography in the early 90s. _No
Blacks, No Irish_ etc whatever. He went on a book-signing tour in the
US. He appeared at a bookstore in Dallas, TX, wearing a Dallas Stars
hockey jersey. If you wanted him to sign your book you had to buy one,
which in hardback was like US $25. I didn't have the $$ for that, and
besides, the line was so long it curled around the back of the very
large store he was at, and I was so punk at the time I thought
autographs were for morons.

A lot of punks were hanging around outside, not buying his book of
course, too, but nonetheless sitting around on the benches as if it were
a punk gig. I'm sure the book store managers loved that. They were used
to book signings by people like Dean Koontz and Joan Collins -- not THIS
crowd.

I went inside and even though I didn't have a copy of his bio me and a
friend got close to to the table he was at, which was very awkward. He
sort of looked up at us. I said, "Hi," and he said, "Hi." That was it.
MAGICAL, isn't it!?!?

In any event I know more about Lydon than I do 98% of US presidents.
Even so, I still hold the apparently damnable and atrocious opinion I
do, which is actually very mld and quite innocuous, about that Kimmel
interview. Quentin Tarantino did an interview on Leno where he was blind
drunk and came off a lot worse than Lydon ever has, if that means
anything. Then again, I can't stand Tarantino. He annoys the fuck out of me.

-Oliver