[kj] oliver u sound pissed ;-/

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Sat Aug 11 22:23:41 EDT 2007

Yeah I think you're mis-reading Olly too. I had exactly the same
impression about how Lydon came off in that interview, no biggie in it but
that bit seemed a bit awkward, looked like the guy didn't really know how
to take him...but I think Lydon was just trying to be friendly and
connect, not ignore the other guest, in the 1-3 mins or however long those
interviews go on for. Perhaps he wanted to explain himself to the american
public, perhaps he thought there's some left-over association in some
people's minds between punk music and racist skinheads, who knows? And he
wanted to demonstrate that, as perhaps the biggest punk figure of all
time, he's totally against that...but when you're a) pissed, b) hugely
time constrained, and c) on live telly being interviewed, you're less
likely to be able to communicate subtly.

I agree with Olly that it looked a bit like white apologist behaviour, but
what's wrong with that? It's easy to quote cliches about ebony and ivory
and all that but race relations are fucking awkward at times, I didn't
take Olly's comments negatively towards Lydon at all. I've felt the same
way on both sides (being quarter lebanese) ...you say and do stupid
things, but only because your ethic is to demonstrate that there's NO race
barrier to you...when in fact if you just acted normal that communicates
everything you wanted to say anyways. It's awkward sometimes, simple as
that.