[kj] Jaz Straw - veils/chastity belts/dark ages

Juliet Pleming price-pleming at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Oct 14 11:33:11 EDT 2006

It's not like male circumcision which is also barbaric in my opinion and
is carried out shortly after birth usually.

It is carried out when girls are maybe 7, 8 or 9.

There is a woman who travels around tribes doing it and so it depends on
when she is visiting that area.

Girls have their whole outer genital area cut away with a rusty old
blade and no anaesthetic. They are then stitched together so there is
just a small hole for them to wee through. This ensures that the future
husband gets a virgin and the girl does not dishonour her father/family.
Girls are usually married as soon as they start their periods as that
means they have become fertile and a woman. Their father chooses the
husband for them and it is a transaction between the men.

On the wedding night the woman is 'openned' by her husband. She will
then spend her life having babies etc.

This operation can also cause terrible gynaelogical problems for women,
etc

I have read about this and have read first hand accounts from women
themselves.

Juliet