[kj] Jaz Straw

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 10 16:43:43 EDT 2006

Yes, I did read the article, thanks. I just don't see the fact that he wasn't literally 'face-to-face' as a great problem. And neither did he, since he was able to conduct satisfactory professional relations with veil-wearing women for many years. He might prefer it without the veil, but it obviously wasn't a huge issue before that.

flight Bringer <flightbringer at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
  *I'm going from memory here* . But I believe that Jack straw has a
constituency in Blackburn where 25 % of the population are Muslim and when
he talks with his female constituents who sometimes wear a veil . He finds
is obtrusive and he feels that it creates a barrier between him and his
constituent .

"In part, this was because of the apparent incongruity between the signals
which indicate common bonds - the entirely English accent, the couples'
education (wholly in the UK) - and the fact of the veil. Above all, it was
because I felt uncomfortable about talking to someone 'face-to-face' who I
could not see."

http://www.flipsidemovies.com
http://jimharper.blogspot.com