[kj] Jaz Straw

flight Bringer flightbringer at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Oct 10 16:34:12 EDT 2006

"I have a hard time believing it impacts Jack Straw's life in any great
fashion."

  *I'm going from memory here* . But I believe that Jack straw has a
constituency in Blackburn where 25 % of the population are Muslim and when
he talks with his female  constituents who sometimes wear a veil . He finds
is obtrusive and he feels that it creates a barrier between him and his
constituent .

"In part, this was because of the apparent incongruity between the signals
which indicate common bonds - the entirely English accent, the couples'
education (wholly in the UK) - and the fact of the veil. Above all, it was
because I felt uncomfortable about talking to someone 'face-to-face' who I
could not see."