[kj] A Different Sort of "Gathering" (OT)

TB Partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Sat Oct 7 13:34:01 EDT 2006

"Stephen Robinson" wrote:

>>  The two riffs I usually try when picking up a guitar in a guitar shop is
>> Van Halen's "You Really Got Me" (cheesy, i know)
>

> My mistake, does look like Van Halen did take that song then, I take it
> you're American?

Although I fail to see what that has to do with anything, yes, I'm an
American.

> Maybe you're right about the effect on groups of Van Halen, on say Judas
> Priest for example, maybe it's even more than just fret tapping and all
> that
> stuff.
>
> As for technical skill on instruments, I simply don't care about huge
> expanses of technical ability, I'd much rather listen to someone trying
> something new and exciting, than a bland technically efficient session
> muso,
> even if he does have more 'chops'.

Don't get me wrong, for me personally, I have equal appreciation for a guy
like Johnny Thunders as well as Ywgwie Malmsteen. There's room at both ends
of the spectrum for me to dig players of all styles and technical skill
levels. I just think you're cutting yourself off from possibly enjoying some
bands and artists by pre-defining a select set of parameters to enjoy rock
n' roll music.

> I think very few people listen to music because they have much intrest in
> the skill required to play it.

While I agree to a point that the average person who goes to a few concerts
and listens to typical rock n' roll has little interest in how a guitar solo
is played or what key a song is in, virtually anyone can pick up and respond
to basic songwriting and live performance craft and quality. That's why a
band like The Beatles are still so huge and a band like The Germs have such
a miniscule cult following. Just banging away tuneless noise on your
instruments with a lot of manic energy can only get you so far.

T.B.