[kj] A Different Sort of "Gathering" (OT)

Stephen Robinson heiferboy at robinsonworld.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Oct 7 07:15:54 EDT 2006

>  The two riffs I usually try when picking up a guitar in a guitar shop is
> Van Halen's "You Really Got Me" (cheesy, i know)

My mistake, does look like Van Halen did take that song then, I take it
you're American?

Maybe you're right about the effect on groups of Van Halen, on say Judas
Priest for example, maybe it's even more than just fret tapping and all that
stuff.

As for technical skill on instruments, I simply don't care about huge
expanses of technical ability, I'd much rather listen to someone trying
something new and exciting, than a bland technically efficient session muso,
even if he does have more 'chops'.

I think very few people listen to music because they have much intrest in
the skill required to play it.