[kj] A Different Sort of "Gathering" (OT)

TB Partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Sat Oct 7 13:00:31 EDT 2006

"sade1" wrote:

>  The two riffs I usually try when picking up a guitar in a guitar shop is
>  Van Halen's "You Really Got Me" (cheesy, i know) and Geordie's
> masterpiece opening riff on "Mathematics Of Chaos." They just sound fun
> and dirty to me. ;~)

For me, it depends on the guitar or bass I'm looking at buying.

For guitar, I might play a bit of Van Halen's "Unchained" or Ozzy's "Flying
High Again" along with just about anything off The Cult's "Electric" album
especially if I'm looking at a Les Paul. If I'm looking at a Telecaster, I
always play a bit of Brian James/Lords of the New Church stuff or some Keith
Richards shit. Big ol' hollow body Gretches are fun although I never get
that rockabilly sound like Brian Setzer gets. When I'm screwing around with
a bass, I'll start off playing the intro to Iron Maiden's "The Clarvoyant"
or the fast bass line in the tail end of "Ryme of the Ancient Mariner" along
with The Lord's "Dance With Me" and Jane's Addiction's "Addiction's Mountain
Song" as well as any number of U2 tunes that're bass-based.

Most of Geordie's riffs I don't feel comfortable playing unless I have a
shitload of effects chained up to make it sound reasonably right.

T.B.