[kj] (OT) Here's A Band That Believes In Their New Album

TB Partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Fri Oct 6 13:38:32 EDT 2006

"Jim Harper" wrote:

>I think I would have walked away from such a gig severely disappointed,
>especially with Hosannas. I would much rather see Killing Joke strike a
>balance between their old material and the new, rather than the current
>ignore-the-new-stuff attitude or Iron Maiden's ditch-the-old pose. For a
>band with a lengthy and varied career, there's no real need to do either.

++++++++++

I agree to a point, especially considering my mediocre opinion of Hosannas
as well. However, I'd certainly give the band credit for standing by their
new release and if it was a decent album such as the '03 release, I'd
welcome hearing it in it's entirety, especially if I had no prior knowledge
the band was playing the whole thing.

I do think a somewhat better balance could be achieved. A good example would
be U2's playing 3/4ths of their "Achtung Baby" at the beginning of that
tour's shows then satisfying fans by playing a good selection of their
previous "hits" and finishing the concert with a couple more from the new
album. Even though that album was a huge change from their previous music,
the whole concept worked brilliantly. Of course, it helped that the album
was among the best work they ever did.

>  Besides, I know a lot of Maiden fans who aren't terribly impressed with
> the new album.

I'm not a hardcore Maiden fan although I have seen them live about 5 or 6
times since '83 and am pretty familiar with their entire catalog. I have
bought the new album and while I do think that it's good, it ain't great and
some of the songs just unnecessarily drag on and on and sonically, have a
sameness about them that don't mar earlier, far superior epics like "Rhyme
of the Ancient Mariner."

T.B.