[kj] Jaz's vocals and lyrics

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 18 12:38:55 EST 2006

I think Jaz's vocals have gotten better. If everyone wants the gothic
dance floor crooning of "Love Like Blood" all the time, well, listen to
that all you want.

Nowadays, as someone here said, "he makes his voice sound however he
wants." The way he can switch between a Motorhead/Lemmy-ish growl, also
reminiscent of early Venom (1st two albums) or Amebix, and then go from
that style back into the softer, 80s sounding Brit new wave vocal style,
as on "Seeing Red" or even "Hosannas from the Basements of Hell" (the
title song) is fantastic. I like the play-off between the dynamics. As
well, I don't think anything about post-2003 Killing Joke sounds nu
metal at all; if anything it is more in the vein of, as I've said, old
Amebix, or even underground hardcore bands these days like Tragedy or
Born Dead Icons. I think it's great.

-Oliver