[kj] Manchester University

Robert Mallett Robert at jrcardwell.fsnet.co.uk
Tue May 9 03:43:41 EDT 2006

Seeing as you think that Hosannas is the best thing ever, your condemnation
of Me Or You and New Day doesn't carry much weight! <grin>

Jamie

In my view it's the best album they've made since Revelations, with which I
would put it on a par. Me Or You sounds like it was written in 20 minutes,
and recorded in one take. It's that vacuous and lightweight. I initially
liked A New Day (I was heavily into wizz at the time), but now I find it
unlistenable. It has an irritating quality I can't define and is worse,
even, than the bulk of OTG and Democracy. As regard BATS, I totally agree
mate. 'Uncompromising' is the word I would use too. I quite like Southern
Sky though.

I'll go and see the fuckers when Raven's back and they do the new album
justice live. I've seen them too many times to put up with drunkeness, stand
ins and repetitive set lists. The Joke are the biggest musical force of all
time. Sadly, like all genius, they don't always live up to it, and we
shouldn't appease them in that. That's our task as I see it.

bob