[kj] Manchester University

gingoblin at easynet.co.uk gingoblin at easynet.co.uk
Tue May 9 08:56:54 EDT 2006

Jeez, if anything shows the differences in opinion we can have on one band,
this discussion is it!  Vive la difference!

For me, some of the stuff is STILL coloured by the feelings it brought up
on the release.  I keep saying I'm gonna have to properly try BTATS again
as enough people seem to reckon it's a good 'un... but fucking hell, the
disappointment when I first heard it... still not quite recovered. That
tour was the only time I've seen KJ not be good (though some may say I saw
'em not be good in Glasgow just the other week... only I never noticed!).
Tepid is the word that sums up that period for me. That mid to late
eighties period fucked up a number of my top bands... horrible!

Still like A New Day!  Still don't really like Me Or You. And to these
ears, Hosannas is great! However, I don't think it's really possible to put
a new album in the KJ rankings 'til it's had a fair while to sink in. Some
albums are great for 6months, but just don't live up to expectations when
you come back to 'em long after.

Dave in Edinburgh