[kj] HOSANNAS REPORT CARD

Neil Perry neilfperry at btinternet.com
Fri Dec 8 07:57:41 EST 2006

As I've been awake half the night because of a tooth abscess,
I had plenty of time to consider the following: if I'm having myself a
good ole all-day KJ session at home, how do the albums appear in a chart in terms of songs played? So I burnt myself a CD with everything I would want to hear from every KJ release. (Leaving out all the compilations apart from Chaos and Unperverted, although I'd include some essential songs - Wilful Days, other version of We Have Joy etc.) And Hosannas ties in third place, with Pandemonium, in terms of how many tracks I'd play. Now that was a surprise.

Tied 1st:
KJ1: All songs
What's THIS For..!: All songs
Ha!: All songs
2nd: Chaos For Breakfast: Nervous System, Turn To Red, Are You Receiving, Almost Red, Wardance, Pssyche, Change, Follow The Leaders (Original lyrics)
Tied 3rd:
Hosannas: Hosannas, Invocation, Majestic, Walking With Gods, Lightbringer, Judas Goat
Pandemonium: Pandemonium, Exorcism, Millennium, Communion, Labyrinth, Mathematics Of Chaos
Tied 4th:
Revelations: The Hum, Empire Song, We Have Joy, Chop-Chop, The Pandys Are Coming (aka 'the A-side')
KJ2003: TDARS, Total Invasion, Implant, Blood On Your Hands, Seeing Red
Firedances: Fun & Games, Rejuvenation, Harlequin, Song & Dance, Dominator
5th: Night Time: Eighties, Darkness Before Dawn, LLB, Europe
Tied 6th:
BTATS: Chessboards, Love Of The Masses, Goodbye To The Village
Extremities: Intravenous, Termite Mound, North Of The Border
Unperverted Pantomime: Change, Are You Receiving, Complications (Capital Radio versions)
7th: Democracy: Absent Friends
8th: OTG: None (For about the tenth time in my life, I listened to it again, thinking there must be *something* I'd want to hear. Nope.)

Alex Smith <vassifer at earthlink.net> wrote:
BECAUSE NO ONE ASKED FOR IT:

...according to Alex in NYC. You make your own.

Hosannas Report Card:

Jaz Coleman: Grade: C-. Jaz, your heart is in the right place, it seems, but you're trying to get by solely on hype and bluster. You're not spending enough time with your songwriting, which is deplorably evident in your lyrics. Your voice is shot from all the cigars and the wine. Apply yourself and you won't have to keep reminding people of your genius. Your work will speak for itself. Also, learn to get along with others and to compromise. There is no "I" in "team."

Geordie - Grade: B+. While I still pine for the days of the "bell" tone, Geordie continues to hand in top drawer work. Go to the head of the class, Mr. Walker.

Raven - Grade: B. Were it in my power, I'd give you higher marks for effort, but much of your contributions have been lost in the shuffle. Your classmates are largely to blame for your failure to be heard. Still, you get bonus credit for all your extracurriculur work, and you set a shining example that your classmates would do well to follow (though I won't hold my breath). You also have the best school spirit. Keep it up. You're the one to watch.

Benjamin - Grade: B- . Don't be discouraged. Not only are you "the new kid in school," like your wingman, Paul Raven (pardon the pun), your contributions to the project were laregly buried in the mix. The bits that do rise to the surface are respectable enough, but there is still room for improvement. Keep it up and do not be discouraged by the bullies in the class.

Production - Grade: D -. A muddled, busy, mess. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Album Artwork - Grade C-. While I admire your attempt at a fresh approach, I'm afraid this particular experiment backfired. Also, your scribbling over the canvas only added insult to injury. Unfortunate. Several points off.