[kj] Jaz as Suicide Bomber Part Deux.

Alex Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 10 16:46:05 EST 2005

Unlike a few folks here, I don't like to knock the `Joke. I really don't. They're my favorite band for a reason. But I do believe in yelling "bullshit" when I hear it. The band has *never* been above a bit of ominous self-mythologizing and portentuous intonation for the sake of maintaining their arguably violent/scary mystique. Whether that's Geordie clapping and laughing as the planes hit the towers (unsusbstantiated, but tasteless if true) or Jaz talking about recording in "warzones" (Taiwan: not a warzone...."yet"), or the contsantly vague allusions to dabbling in the occult (possibly true) or Jaz supporting theories that he might well indeed be mad (on the DVD interview....a churlish defense mechanism that lets him off the hook for spouting some of the more crocked stuff..i.e. pleading insanity), it seems that the band's M.O. is to keep up a united front that welcomes death (Raven and Youth seem slightly less inclined to this end, admittedly). It just seems at this stage in their august career, they shouldn't still feel the need to court controversy this way. Like Jiri says, it undermines the credibility of the congent things they do have to say. It's frankly juvenile. Leave that crap to Slipknot et al.

In terms of witnessing terrorism from a safe distance, it's all well and good to clap and laugh because it supports your reputation as a doom-mongering soothsayer of the impending apocalypse, but I wager that had it happened on their doorstep or to their loved ones, there isn't a member of Killing Joke who'd have been laughing or cheerily touting "I told ya so!" when the bombs went off and the severed limbs went flying.

And for Jaz to spout crap about "death without fear" and whatnot one moment, then to applaud life so zestily the next ("Age of Greed," "Money is Not Our God," "Love Like Blood," and his contstant mantra-like repetition in interviews that "life is short"), just smacks a bit of hyporcisy.

Alex in NYC