[kj] re: jihad/Beyrouth

iPat pmdavies at gmail.com
Sat May 14 09:29:52 EDT 2005

Should we have to be bound by popular misculture?because the cheap
sensationalist based cliche ridden media wants to recreate a word,
something that happens from generation to generation admittingly, does
that mean it cant be used in its proper context? What happened to
individuality or must we all follow the leader?

On 5/14/05, first fossil <firstfossil at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> That's right. "Jihad" and "Mujahadeen" (the same word) may have a more noble
> original meaning in Arabic but in modern English it means armed Islamic
> struggle. That's because 99% of English speakers use the word in that way,
> so that's the way it goes: the English dictionary reflects what people say,
> not where the words come from. Like "sinister" now means "evil", not "left".
>

> So I think that when a group calls their song "Jihad" or "Hizbollah",
> they're just driving on cheap danger not on any deeper meaning.

If i was listening to a cheap boy band that sells its material on
cheap sentiment then its a fair comment, but its comming from the pen
of someone who considers themself an intelligent person, someone who
takes an interest in indigenous cultures and despises the cheap
mcthrowaway culture been drip fed to us. Something that i find draws
me to the works of Killing Joke.

--
iPat
live for today, live for tomorrow