[kj] red beat CD

Jpwhkj at aol.com Jpwhkj at aol.com
Tue Jan 11 16:14:18 EST 2005

Got my Red Beat CD yesterday (thanks Paul), and have been listening to precious little else since. Most of it is familiar (I've got the Machines In Motion 12" and the See/Survival 7") but good to have on CD, and Shadow Boxing is excellent - an interesting taste of where they might have gone next, I suppose.

For Gatherers who don't know about Red Beat...

Red Beat were one of just 3 bands (I think) on the Malicious Damage label 25 years ago, the others being Killing Joke, of course, and Ski Patrol. (I believe the latter metamorphosed into the Folk Devils at some point - anyone?) Their early material is very similar to Turn To Red-era KJ, and the later stuff is similar to early Play Dead. The CD has about 50 mins of music, no duplicates, and comes with a lyric booklet and a brief history of the band's line-up and recording career. Doesn't say why they split up...

Anyway - it's good stuff, and I strongly recommend this CD to you all.

I'd be interested to know more about the story of how they and Ski Patrol got involved with MD. Colesy?

Has anyone done a Malicious Damage discography, by the way?

Did anyone here ever see Red Beat (or Ski Patrol)?  Wish I had...

Jamie