[kj] remixes and OT Stranglers

Alexander Smith gathering@misera.net
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:45:20 -0500

--Apple-Mail-28--778894568

"Hugh's departure may even have=A0been their salvation as I consider=20
their tenth and last studio outing with him (inventively titled 10)=20
to=A0probably be their weakest."

As weak as TEN and DREAMTIME inarguably were, to suggest that the band=20=

are in any way better off without Hugh Cornwell *HURTS ME IN MY VERY=20
SOUL!*  While I'm *ENTIRELY* digging NORFOLK COAST (courtesy of my=20
iPod, in those brief instances when I'm allowed out of the house), the=20=

Stranglers just don't seem the same without Hugh. What I've always=20
adored about the band was its entirely distinctive and virtually=20
inimitable chemistry. Who could replicate JJ's signature bass? Who=20
could replace Dave's keyboards? Similarly, subtracting Hugh's vocals=20
and HUGELY UNDERRATED guitar playing (such restraint!) dealt a huge=20
blow to the band. But, goddamn if the new album doesn't come as close=20
as can be. I'm still naively holding out hope that Hugh will re-join=20
the fold....if not only for a solitary performance (please make it=20
so,....and record it for chrissakes!)

A Killing Joke/Stranglers double bill would be a life-affirming event,=20=

don't you think? Have they ever toured together? What have they to say=20=

about one another? I remember Raven extolling their merits back in the=20=

day. Curious.

Alexinblack ininblack NYCinblack

On Monday, March 29, 2004, at 05:15 PM, Geoffrey ODonoghue wrote:

> Many thanks to Rob's Arse and Mr Rangecroft for refreshing my memory=20=

> about the 'bogus' Knaves mix of K&Q. Now that I think about it I'm=20
> sure=A0I=A0downloaded it (might try to locate it on the mess that is =
my=20
> home computer).
> =A0
> Bit of a buzz going on at the moment about one of my long-time=20
> favourite bands - The Stranglers. I have never lost touch with this=20
> band, and have kept on buying their albums while their general=20
> popularity waned. The departure of Hugh Cornwell didn't faze me as it=20=

> did=A0some=A0(who consider that with Hugh gone, The Stranglers were =
gone).=20
> There is and always was more than one good tunesmith in that band as=20=

> they have gone on to prove. Hugh's departure may even have=A0been =
their=20
> salvation as I consider their tenth and last studio outing with him=20
> (inventively titled 10) to=A0probably be their weakest. Having said=20
> that, there isn't any Stranglers album that I dislike=A0and even 10 =
can=20
> offer the excellent opening and closing tracks Sweet Smell of Success=20=

> and Never to Look Back. Like Alex (Sleepless) in NYC I am hoping that=20=

> they will be able to tour beyond Europe although making the hike down=20=

> here to Australia is=A0obviously much harder than hopping the pond.
> =A0
> Geoff=A0
>
> Paul Rangecroft <killing_j0ke@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >From: Geoffrey ODonoghue
> >
> >Secondly - a while back someone trotted out a rare KJ remix and then
> >subsequently revealed that it was, in fact, all their own work=20
> (definitely
> >fooled me :-)
> >What was remixed song? Was it the Right Royal Mix of Kings and Queens=20=

> or is
> >that one readily available?
>
> yes, that was me. the 'right royal' mix is fairly easy to obtain.=20
> there's
> another mix called the 'knaves' mix. all the 12"s meant to include=20
> this were
> unfortunately mis-presses so nobody's heard it (apart from a lucky=20
> few) so i
> did a spoof mix just for a larf. it's not on the yahoo group any more=20=

> but i
> can upload it again if you really want it.

<image.tiff>

> Do you Yahoo!?

--Apple-Mail-28--778894568

"Hugh's departure may even have=A0been their salvation as I consider
their tenth and last studio outing with him (inventively titled 10)
to=A0probably be their weakest."

As weak as TEN and DREAMTIME inarguably were, to suggest that the band
are in any way better off without Hugh Cornwell *HURTS ME IN MY VERY
SOUL!*  While I'm *ENTIRELY* digging NORFOLK COAST (courtesy of my
iPod, in those brief instances when I'm allowed out of the house), the
Stranglers just don't seem the same without Hugh. What I've always
adored about the band was its entirely distinctive and virtually
inimitable chemistry. Who could replicate JJ's signature bass? Who
could replace Dave's keyboards? Similarly, subtracting Hugh's vocals
and HUGELY UNDERRATED guitar playing (such restraint!) dealt a huge
blow to the band. But, goddamn if the new album doesn't come as close
as can be. I'm still naively holding out hope that Hugh will re-join
the fold....if not only for a solitary performance (please make it
so,....and record it for chrissakes!)

A Killing Joke/Stranglers double bill would be a life-affirming event,
don't you think? Have they ever toured together? What have they to say
about one another? I remember Raven extolling their merits back in the
day. Curious.

Alexinblack ininblack NYCinblack

<excerpt>Many thanks to Rob's Arse and Mr Rangecroft for refreshing my
memory about the 'bogus' Knaves mix of K&Q. Now that I think about it
I'm sure=A0I=A0downloaded it (might try to locate it on the mess that is
my home computer).

[...]

<bold><italic>Paul Rangecroft

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger