[kj] remixes and OT Stranglers

Geoffrey ODonoghue gathering@misera.net
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:39:22 -0800 (PST)

--0-597706518-1080614362=:1126

Hi Alex

On reading back my original post I thought that my comment about Hugh's departure might well cause some contradictory feedback. What I was so clumsily trying to get across is that with the '10' album I really had no idea where they would or could go to from there. You mentioned Hugh's restrained guitar playing and yes, it was good, but it seemed to be becoming so restrained that it was an afterthought. My feeling is that he was not into the Stranglers music at all anymore and was either going through the motions or trying to take the band in an unappealing (to me) direction (with no individual songwriting credits to go by I could be completely wrong attributing any '10' tracks I don't like to Hugh). If he had stayed, what would the next disc have sounded like? - I personally wasn't hopeful. I haven't heard any solo Hugh material apart from a forgettable track called Facts and Figures on the soundtrack for When The Wind Blows. Is his solo stuff any good? What musical direction has he
 taken? Anyone know?
I also would be happy if there was a reformation of the original band but I have to say that, while the MKII and MKIII Stranglers have had their song-writing failures, I have been pretty happy with band's continuing efforts. And from what I can glean from live recordings it seems like they have always continued to deliver the goods in concert.

Geoff

Alexander Smith <vassifer@earthlink.net> wrote:

to suggest that the band are in any way better off without Hugh Cornwell *HURTS ME IN MY VERY SOUL!* ... the Stranglers just don't seem the same without Hugh.

--0-597706518-1080614362=:1126

<DIV>Hi Alex</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>On reading back my original post I thought that my comment about&nbsp;Hugh's departure&nbsp;might well cause some contradictory feedback. What I was so clumsily trying to get across is that with the '10' album I really had no idea where they would or could go to from there. You mentioned Hugh's restrained guitar playing and yes, it was good, but it seemed to be becoming so restrained that it was an afterthought. My feeling is that he was not into the Stranglers music at all anymore and was either going through the motions or trying to take the band in an unappealing (to me) direction (with no individual songwriting credits to go by I&nbsp;could be completely wrong attributing&nbsp;any '10' tracks I don't like to Hugh). If he had stayed, what would the next disc have sounded like?&nbsp;- I personally wasn't hopeful. I haven't heard any solo Hugh material apart from a forgettable track called Facts and Figures on the soundtrack for When&nbsp;The Wind Blows. Is his solo stuff any
 good? What musical direction has he taken? Anyone know?</DIV>
<DIV>I also would be happy if there was a reformation of the original band but I have to say that, while the MKII and MKIII Stranglers have had their song-writing&nbsp;failures, I have&nbsp;been pretty happy with&nbsp;band's continuing efforts. And from what I can glean from live recordings it seems like they have always continued to deliver the goods in concert.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Geoff&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;<BR><BR><B><I>Alexander Smith &lt;vassifer@earthlink.net&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
--0-597706518-1080614362=:1126--