[kj] OT: books / Total Rock

Jiri unspeakable at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 15 14:18:36 EDT 2004

*listening to Death And Resurrection Show on TotalRock
at about 10 past the hour...a request they credited to
"Peter West," and now they've said hello to "all the
Gatherers"* Wow, all this metal is not my taste!

Nonfiction-wise, I've been reading "All the Shah's
Men," a nice recap of Anglo-Iranian Oil Co. and how
the U.K. (and then U.S.) decided on a coup to take out
Mossadegh and lay yet more seeds and powder for
today's environment.

I just read "The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers,"
which (if you're into history) was a nice run-down of
how economics and military might shaped major-power
politics from 1500 to the present. It was written in
1989, though, so the perspective on the last 40 years
is a bit...dated. Otherwise, it was quite good though,
and of course depressing for its reflection of
humanity and its forms of government.

Fiction-wise, I just finished "Black Tulip," a quick,
interesting novel about a CIA op in Afghanistan during
the '80s, arming our mujahedeen "friends" with RPGs to
resist the Soviet occupation.