[kj] OT:What book are you reading??

Pagan scotgothwitch at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 15 14:37:37 EDT 2004

> Anybody recommend any sci-fi or fantasy? Not my usual genre but thought I
> might try it out. But not Tolkien.
> I'm into detective stuff, gothic horror, historical, and when it comes to
> high brow literature, I prefer the south american magial realism variety.

You might want to try some of Tanya Huff's books, especially the Blood
series i.e. Blood Price, Blood Trail, Blood Lines, Blood Pact and Blood
Debt.  Set in Toronto, about an ex policewoman turned PI who teams up with a
vampire (who just happens to be the illegitimate son of Henry VIII)!  Huff's
Keeper's Chronicles are quite good too - very different and quite amusing.

Not a huge fan of a lot of fantasy myself, I did find David Gemmell's books
quite easy to get into (although technically his work is now described as
"heroic fantasy").

If you like detective stuff with a different slant, you might like Felidae
and Felidae on the Road by Akif Pirincci.

Claire

N.R. Angels and Demons by Dan Brown