[kj] OT: R.Kelly Likens Self to Bin Laden

Amy Moseley gathering@misera.net
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:55:48 -0500

Quoting Jester <webmaster@killing-joke.com>:

> > In the US it's 18.
>
> No it is not. It varies from state to state. Here in Texas, the age of
> consent is 17 for both males and females, and affirmative defense is 14.

You're correct, and in Texas we can also execute 17-year-olds, but
they can't vote.  Affirmative defense is a laugh.  Again, the over-18-
year-old oughtta know better.  Lowering the age for "sexually active"
individuals is like saying rape isn't rape if the girl was slutty.

Let's put it this way:  if a 15-year-old Texas girl went to the UK
on a school trip, and got shagged by a 22-year-old married military
man, you *know* many Texans would feel her father justified in
taking a shotgun over there!  It's not about just being a prude:
it's about disease and pregnancy.  What if said 15-year-old had
gotten pregnant?  Would've been pretty hard to marry her given
he was already married!