[kj] Bootlegs on line- now tone talk

fluw gathering@misera.net
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:50:45 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0096_01C39F05.F6593480

-----mark says<<<Do you mean the power amp clipping into distortion, or =
neither pre or
power clipping?>>-----------

no, power amp distortion.=20

not clipping, just a slight compression followed by an open dynamic =
release - due to the input spiking.=20

essentially meaning - not the boxy preamp clipped saturation ala... =
santana, slash, etc which would include most of geordie's post '90 sound =
.

preamp distortion is a bottle neck to an incoming audio signal forcing =
the sound into a limited space to create a sense to the listener that =
the top volume has been reached. then once that singal as been squashed =
into a mini train wreck it is then reamplified in it's angry poodle =
altered state to a power amp. problem is, the signal, being limited or =
contained(squashed), has no more room to expand to represent dynamics of =
the performance and so, to a degree, no matter how much harder a note =
within a cluster of notes is struck it can never separate dynamically =
from the pack at which point you begin to arrive at tones like.....  =
santana, eric johnson and water torture two dimensional crap like that.

if your in a room with a live amp in preamp clipping mode then leave, =
the "feeling" from the volume will become weak sounding, although it =
will have characteristics of being loud. now do the same with an amp =
playing at the same volume but minus the preamp clipping and sound will =
not 'feel' as weak, in comparison it will be coming through the walls
and you will still feel the concussion of the notes impacting the =
environment.

to be even more circumlocutive about this...to me the difference between =
pre amp clipping and power amp distortion is similar to the difference =
between a recording of a cannon going off being blasted from large =
speakers in front of you, and a real cannon going off in front of you. =
obviously both will be intense and likely make you deaf (huh?) but the =
recording will only be loud. the real one will be a three dimensional =
event that is heard and felt in an entirely different way.  =20

------------------------------
=20

  > one reason for his current tone is probably due to preamp =
distortion. it
  > is frustrating because the preamp chug gives the listener the =
illusion
  > of volume and intensity which sounds good initially but it can wear =
thin
  > and anemic lacking those punchy dynamics of the unadulterated tone =
and
  > chime of rich power amp voltage spikes.

  Do you mean the power amp clipping into distortion, or neither pre or
  power clipping?

------=_NextPart_000_0096_01C39F05.F6593480

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D3>-----mark says&lt;&lt;&lt;Do you mean =
the power=20
amp clipping into distortion, or neither pre or<BR>power=20
clipping?&gt;&gt;-----------</FONT><BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>no, power amp distortion.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>not clipping, just a slight compression followed by =
an open=20
dynamic release - due to the input spiking.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>essentially meaning -&nbsp;not the boxy preamp =
clipped=20
saturation ala... santana, slash,&nbsp;etc which would include most=20
of&nbsp;geordie's post '90 sound .</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>preamp distortion&nbsp;is a bottle neck&nbsp;to an =
incoming=20
audio signal&nbsp;forcing the sound into a limited space to create a =
sense to=20
the listener that the top volume has been reached. then once that singal =
as been=20
squashed into a mini train wreck it is then reamplified in it's angry =
poodle=20
altered state to a power amp.&nbsp;problem is, the signal, being limited =

or&nbsp;contained(squashed), has no more room to&nbsp;expand =
to&nbsp;represent=20
dynamics of the performance and so, to a degree, no matter how much =
harder a=20
note within a cluster of notes is struck it can never separate =
dynamically from=20
the pack&nbsp;at which point you begin to arrive at tones =
like.....&nbsp;=20
santana, eric johnson and water torture two dimensional crap&nbsp;like=20
that.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>if your in a room with a live amp in preamp clipping =

mode&nbsp;then leave,&nbsp;the&nbsp;"feeling" from the=20
volume&nbsp;will&nbsp;become weak sounding, although it will have=20
characteristics of being loud. now&nbsp;do the same with an =
amp&nbsp;playing at=20
the same volume but minus the preamp clipping and sound will =
not&nbsp;'feel'=20
as&nbsp;weak, in comparison it will&nbsp;be coming through the=20
walls</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>and you will still feel the concussion of the notes =
impacting=20
the environment.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>to be even more circumlocutive about this...to me =
the=20
difference between pre amp&nbsp;clipping and&nbsp;power amp=20
distortion&nbsp;is&nbsp;similar to the&nbsp;difference between&nbsp;a =
recording=20
of a cannon going off being blasted from&nbsp;large speakers in front of =
you,=20
and a real cannon going off in front of =
you.&nbsp;obviously&nbsp;both&nbsp;will=20
be&nbsp;intense and likely make you deaf (huh?) but the recording will =
only be=20
loud. the real one&nbsp;will&nbsp;be a three dimensional event that is =
heard and=20
felt&nbsp;in an entirely different way.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>------------------------------</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">&nbsp;</DIV>&gt; one reason for his =
current tone=20
  is probably due to preamp distortion. it<BR>&gt; is frustrating =
because the=20
  preamp chug gives the listener the illusion<BR>&gt; of volume and =
intensity=20
  which sounds good initially but it can wear thin<BR>&gt; and anemic =
lacking=20
  those punchy dynamics of the unadulterated tone and<BR>&gt; chime of =
rich=20
  power amp voltage spikes.<BR><BR>Do you mean the power amp clipping =
into=20
  distortion, or neither pre or<BR>power =
clipping?<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0096_01C39F05.F6593480--