[kj] Bootlegs on line- now tone talk

Mark Kolmar gathering@misera.net
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:43:11 +0000 (GMT)

> one reason for his current tone is probably due to preamp distortion. it
> is frustrating because the preamp chug gives the listener the illusion
> of volume and intensity which sounds good initially but it can wear thin
> and anemic lacking those punchy dynamics of the unadulterated tone and
> chime of rich power amp voltage spikes.

Do you mean the power amp clipping into distortion, or neither pre or
power clipping?

Also I didn't write all of what I meant to say regarding the modern,
digital delay or delay modelling vs. analog delay (such as EHX Memory Man)
or old digital grit.  I don't know that one is necessarily *better* than
the other, but different for sure.  In '84 Geordie was supposedly using a
Memory Man into another delay (which may have been digital...probably
8-bit if so) and then into the Burmans.  Modern delay or a modelling unit,
or just directly into an overdriven lo-fi Marshall would certainly sound a
lot different.

--Mark