[kj] album cover : a suggestion (to JESTER)

Alexander Smith gathering@misera.net
Fri, 23 May 2003 15:14:26 -0500

--MS_Mac_OE_3136547667_644152_MIME_Part

Can I play the role of the hand-wringing, worry-ridden grandmother for a
second?

Since about 1999, I've been on this list, and we've all been collectively
bitching, moaning, complaining, whining and whinging about the lack of
Killing Joke activity. After a dry spell which surely would've scared off
fair weather fans of fair weather bands, we've hung in there -- still
spiritedly debating the merits of obscure remixes and differing cover art
and continually ranking and re-ranking the placement of Killing Joke albums
in order of greatness, etc. etc. etc.

At long last....the machine starts whirring again. Lights flicker on. The
room is filled with the warm-up hum. The Joke is waking back up. And what do
we do?

First thing, we all collectively seem to laugh our asses off in a decidedly
derisive tone at the pictures we're supplied of them.  Not the greatest
"welcome back" we could give them, now, is it? Secondly, for the most part
(with a few minor exceptions) we all take "Implant" to our collective heart
and sing from the highest rooftops of its greatness. Then, when we see the
album cover art, we all let loose a damp fart at it's arguable naffness.

I don't really know what I'm trying to say here. I just think we should be a
little easier on them. They're probably a little apprehensive about
re-entering the fold. Maybe I'm just being a pussy, though. Lets cut'em some
slack.....that's all I'm sayin'.

Alex in NYC