[kj] tour bootlegs

Madani gathering@misera.net
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 11:21:29 -0700

I've heard of very good results with Digital Audio Tape. The main advantage
is that it's easily transferred to CD by those with the technology and the
know-how (I have neither), and you can get tapes long enough to record an
entire show without worrying about running out, turning the cassette over
mid-song, etc.  Plus they're small and relatively easy to smuggle into the
venue.  Rechargeable batteries would probably be the best way to go since
they last longer than disposables, can be recharged all day pre-gig, you
don't have to figure out where the nearest drugstore is in a strange city
... <insert ramblings about the environment and organic vegetables>, etc.  I
think DAT recorders are fairly cheap now too.

The main disadvantage, I'm told, is you'd need a seat fairly close to the
front so you can get the clearest recording possible.

No idea about the other methods mentioned.

Video would be great, as digital video cameras are small enough for
smuggling now and fairly easy to control as far as lining up a good view of
the stage is concerned.  Again, the problem is you'd need to be relatively
close to the front (and thus risk getting caught and thrown out) to get a
good view.  I know of someone who used to slip his camera into gigs by
sitting in a wheelchair and having all the equipment stowed in a secret
compartment under the seat, but it was rather an expensive setup.  I'm not
sure how good the sound quality is on digital video cameras. Maybe someone
with a lot of time on their hands and access to good technology could match
up the best source sound with the best video footage, or am I getting just a
wee bit too fanatical here?

As for archiving every single show, well, for some of us, too much is never
enough, as they used to say on MTV when they still remembered what the M
stood for.  Even some thorough reviews would suffice if everything can't be
recorded.