[kj] OT: Final Word on 'Christian Rawk'

Falcata-Galia Recordings gathering@misera.net
Sun, 21 Dec 2003 21:06:12 -0800

I'd like to hear more about it, privately, of course...

I figure the band has some rather Apocalyptic leanings, anyway.

Regards,

Rudolph A. Carrera
Fal=E7ata-Galia Recordings
http://www.falcata-galia.com
Tariff Records
http://www.tariffrecords.com
Rudy's Information Center
http://members.tripod.com/rudy_info_ctr/home.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: gathering-admin@misera.net [mailto:gathering-admin@misera.net] On
Behalf Of culture.virus
Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2003 8:54 PM
To: gathering@misera.net
Subject: Re: [kj] OT: Final Word on 'Christian Rawk'

At 08:39 AM 12/21/03, you wrote:

>****ALEX'S FINAL WORD ON THE GREAT CHRISTIAN ROCK WIND-UP OF 2003****
>
>Culture Virus et al.,.......
>
>Seems we're all a little more reasonable on Sunday mornings. Wonder why

>that is!
>
>Look, in all candor, my initial comments about Evanescence were
basically=20
>a dismisive joke. In truth, as Cutlure Virus, pointed out, their lyrics

>only *VAGUELY* (from what I can hear) allude to their faith. But, it
has=20
>been largely documented that they sprang from the community of
'Christian=20
>Rock'. And seriously --- regardless of your spiritual leanings, you
must=20
>admit me this: 'CHRISTIAN ROCK' AS A VIABLE GENRE is pretty damn awful=20
>(please read: CHRISTIAN ROCK and *NOT* Rock made by Musicians who
*HAPPEN*=20
>to be Christians. I'm talking about a SPECIFIC GENRE). Said scene has
yet=20
>to produce an act that is capable of transcending the limitations of
their=20
>genre (i.e. constant allusions to worshiping the lord) and reached a=20
>larger audience. The only real example that comes to mind is fuckin'
Creed=20
>(and please, please, please don't try to tell me that they don't suck!)

>But all those other bands: DC3, Jars of Clay and whatnot....regardless
of=20
>their spirituality, I just happen to think their music isn't very good
and=20
>that they're way too caught up in "the message".

You're right about no bands transcending the genre with any real
notoriety.=20
The Christian rock scene doesn't claim Creed as one of their own nor did

Creed start on any of the many Xian labels. So you can hate them just=20
because they suck. As I said before I don't call myself Xian any more=20
merely a Deist. Nor do I feel the need to defend the genre to any great=20
degree. But I will say this; there's way more to the genre than what=20
surfaces enough to be noticed by the general populace. As with any
subgenre=20
we all know that there's a great deal of dreck and a small number of
really=20
good bands.

Some day when there's not so much tension on the list, I'll tell
everyone=20
who doesn't know, about the one and two degrees of separation between KJ

and the Christian rock scene.

>Peace on Earth, Good Will towards Killing Joke.

Long may they reign

>Amen,
>Alex in NYC

I am culturevirus=20