[kj] OT: Final Word on 'Christian Rawk'

Ross O'Donoghue gathering@misera.net
Sun, 21 Dec 2003 01:09:50 +0200

------=_NextPart_000_0092_01C3C75F.226A05A0

Amen.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alexander Smith=20
  To: gathering@misera.net=20
  Sent: 21 Aral=FDk 2003 Pazar 18:39
  Subject: Re: [kj] OT: Final Word on 'Christian Rawk'

  ****ALEX'S FINAL WORD ON THE GREAT CHRISTIAN ROCK WIND-UP OF 2003****

  Culture Virus et al.,.......

  Seems we're all a little more reasonable on Sunday mornings. Wonder =
why that is!

  Look, in all candor, my initial comments about Evanescence were =
basically a dismisive joke. In truth, as Cutlure Virus, pointed out, =
their lyrics only *VAGUELY* (from what I can hear) allude to their =
faith. But, it has been largely documented that they sprang from the =
community of 'Christian Rock'. And seriously --- regardless of your =
spiritual leanings, you must admit me this: 'CHRISTIAN ROCK' AS A VIABLE =
GENRE is pretty damn awful (please read: CHRISTIAN ROCK and *NOT* Rock =
made by Musicians who *HAPPEN* to be Christians. I'm talking about a =
SPECIFIC GENRE). Said scene has yet to produce an act that is capable of =
transcending the limitations of their genre (i.e. constant allusions to =
worshiping the lord) and reached a larger audience. The only real =
example that comes to mind is fuckin' Creed (and please, please, please =
don't try to tell me that they don't suck!) But all those other bands: =
DC3, Jars of Clay and whatnot....regardless of their spirituality, I =
just happen to think their music isn't very good and that they're way =
too caught up in "the message".=20

  Now, does this mean that I think *ALL* music that is religiously =
devout stinks? Hell no. I just bought a compilation of Bhangra music, =
and that stuff's pretty damn devout. Perhaps I'm able to tolerate that =
because it is so comparitively exotic or more because your average =
Bhangra musician doesn't seem to be out to convert me. Maybe I'm wrong =
about that.

  I'm sorry if I ruffled your feathers. I only wish we were having this =
debate over something I'd said with a bit more conviction rather than as =
a passing, derisive jibe.=20

  Sorry I told you to shove it up your ass as well, but that's what you =
get when you call someone a scarred hypocrite in dire need of =
professional help.

  "Yeah I know, what is it with you and Ross and this spelling thing?"

  What's so tough about spelling it out? Worried that the big man =
upstairs is going to materialize like Hastur the Unspeakable and smite =
thee for blaspheming? (that was a joke, stay calm!)

  I'm really not interested in getting into any more stupid spats about =
fuckin' Religion (with you *OR* with the mysterious Mr.West) It's such a =
hot-button topic that only leads to needless acrimony.

  Peace on Earth, Good Will towards Killing Joke.

  Amen,
  Alex in NYC