[kj] OT: Are we still talking about Evanescence here?

Jester gathering@misera.net
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:52:51 -0600

Even I, the king of OT posts, am sick of this shit..fucking hell you two. Go
meet in an alley some where and duke it out, or sword fight or something.

Culture Virus, don't call someone out, then act all offended when the return
fire. Yes, you are below because you have to call up some obscure, obsolete
term for Christian to make your defense more viable. Shut the fuck up now...

Get the joke?

Ne Plus Ultra,
Occisio Locatio

The Web Master,
Jester
www.killing-joke.com

-----Original Message-----
From: culture.virus [mailto:culturevirus@mindspring.com]
Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2003 8:41 PM
To: gathering@misera.net
Subject: Re: [kj] OT: Are we still talking about Evanescence here?

So were you actually going to respond with a reasoned defense of why your
statement was not prejudiced or were you just going to play some sort of
passive aggressive ad hominem game. Or have you decided that since I once
self identified as evangelical that I am obviously below you and am not
capable of seeing things in a objective light? Simply reinforcing an air of
prejudice with the comment below may just be a wind-up but if not then
would you please explain why you are not prejudiced towards people of a
particular faith?

At 02:34 PM 12/20/03, you wrote:

>" And as a former evangelical Xian myself..."
>

>Ah, there we go then. That explains it.
>
>Alex in NYC
>

>On Saturday, December 20, 2003, at 03:18 PM, culture.virus wrote:
>
>>That may be Greg, but that's not what was said. The statement was that
>>the music was by Xians and therefore moot. Evanescence's music is not of
>>the bible-thumping/converting variety. In fact their label pulled their
>>records from the shelves of Xian bookstores because they are something of
>>an anathema to that particular part of the Xian subculture. And as a
>>former evangelical Xian myself I'm well aware of the subculture and
>>it's  thought patterns. I also know that there are hundreds of bands in
>>that genre who just want to make the best music they can while not
>>betraying firmly held religious beliefs. Their music may reflect their
>>beliefs, but they don't have conversion as their primary focus.
>>
>>I also want to reiterate what I was saying before, if it's only music by
>>Xian's that is automatically bad, that is a prejudical statement. I've
>>never heard this list tolerate prejudice in any form and for any off
>>color remarks. Recently in the whole Peter West fiasco somebody used the
>>term "ragheads" to describe Islamic people and was roundly chastised. Two
>>days ago bluceree (and others in the past) called Xians "god-botherers"
>>and not an eyebrow raised. It's really sad and laughable at the same. The
>>one thing that won't be tolerated is intolerance. Isn't that what you
said?

>>At 09:21 PM 12/19/03, you wrote:
>>>I think the reference to Christian music was specifically to Christian
>>>rock, the bible-thumping purist kind that has as its only goal the
>>>conversion of everyone to Christianity. Their listeners often listen to
>>>no other music, for fear of being sinners. By the way, religious reggae
>>>music is usually Rastifarian, which is a different religion that
>>>Christianity (although it has aspect of it, as well as Judaism). I don't
>>>think it's prejudiced to criticize a type of music that is only bent on
>>>converting people, and tends to have listeners that are intolerant of
>>>others (such as gays and atheists).
>>
>>I am culturevirus

I am culturevirus