[kj] OT: Goth

Jester gathering@misera.net
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:27:52 -0600

Well, I seriously do think your on the right track here on certain aspects.
But I don=B9t think kids of today party any more than we did. I know most of
the people my wife works with and knows, peter out loooong before I do. And
I am a sick bastard. They are surprisingly frail, and that does include my
younger wife as well.

With that said, I think it boils down to education, laziness, and a complet=
lack of discipline and respect. I see kids tell their parents "NO" all the
time, and the parents are like, "Ok, maybe not..ho hum". If I said no to my
parents, like that, I got the shit kicked out of me. Now you have parents
cowing down to their kids. See it everyday on shows like Montel. "I am
scared of my 12 year old". Huh? 12 year old???? Your 12 year old said they
are gonna do something, and you didn=B9t fuck him/her up??? Ohhhh...no no no.
Not the way shit works. Then, these ass clowns want to turn it back on
society. In a NORMAL situation, with non abusive parents (I know there are
some instances like that of my wife's upbringing where this does not apply
at all..)  typical kids should ever feel they have the right to stand up in
their parents face and disrespect them...EVER. Maybe it is this whole
"southern US upbringing", but I have this philosophy that the day my kids
think they are man enough to stand in my face, that=B9s the day I set them
back down like a child. The point is, parents are frightened of their kids,
refuse to discipline them, and then wonder why all the shit is torn
up....turn around and blame society. Nah, kids arent worse than we were,
they are just allowed to show it off like we werent, and then be
disrespectful about it.

On 12/19/03 4:00 PM, "Amy Moseley Rupp" <amyr@jump.net> wrote:

>> So, given what passes for "goth" and what passes for
>> "punk" among today's kids, in 10-20 years the meaning
>> of those words will be as diluted as the meaning of
>> "freedom" is today.
>=20
> Actually I was watching ITV (UK) news the other night
> and it said the government had released a report that
> says this generation of British teens is the first
> to be likely to NOT outlive their parents due to
> being overweight, underexercised, drinking, drugging,
> and having sex with zillions of partners before they
> hit 16.  And beyond.
>=20
> It was actually based on sound evidence such as rates
> of different illnesses, amounts of drug use and drinking,
> etc.
>=20
> I think that one of the *ONLY* benefits of the Bible-slinging
> "Just Say No" conservatives was that parents of that ilk,
> even if they'd been free-lovin' free-druggin' hippies, cracked
> down on their kids, and in general, heavy drug use and multiple
> partner sex is not as accepted here as it is in the UK.  Please
> note I'm not down on a spliff and a shag -- just -- moderation,
> don't kill yourself before you're 18 kind of thing.
>=20
> The kind of crap we have now produced *here* is kids who believe
> that they are truly above all rules not because they are *kids*,
> but because they personally are better than anyone else on the
> planet and deserve to have everything in life handed to them
> for free forever and not do a lick of work or show a thimbleful
> of kindness to their fellow human beings.
>=20
> In trying to explain some of this to my daughter, she sighed
> wistfully and said, wouldn't it be nice if everyone had zillions
> of dollars and didn't have to work?  and I said, well, if
> that were true, those zillions would be useless, cos who would
> make stuff to buy?  who'd work in restaurants?  in other words,
> how the hell would anyone *enjoy* a zillion dollars if no one
> worked?!
>=20
> I think the answer kids are thinking of now is "old people (anyone
> over 25) and poor people will work and we'll spend all the money."
> Just wait until *they're* old (over 25) and poor.
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

KEEPING THE FIRE ALIVE WITH HONOUR!
OCCISIO LOCATIO=20

THE WEBMASTER,=20
JESTER=20
WWW.KILLING-JOKE.COM
WWW.PARALLAX1.COM=20

There is no place like 127.0.0.1

"In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for Windows or
Gates?"