[Scons-users] SCons for Ansys APDL Analysis

Bill Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Mon Oct 17 16:27:57 EDT 2022

Christopher,
See further questions/comments in line below.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 11:13 AM Hubley, Christopher (GE Aerospace, US) <
Christopher.Hubley at ge.com> wrote:

> Hi Bill,
> Thanks for following up!
>
> "How are dependencies specified?"
> In my case, I wrote a Builder using a Python function containing command
> object which runs several actions. So my Python function has an argument
> for "dependencies" and another one for "restart_files".

In this case I think you answered "How am I currently specifying the
dependencies?", what I was asking was (outside of using SCons) is there a
way to specify dependencies to your ansys tools?
The goal here is to understand how this would be done outside of SCons, and
not subject to your current implementation in SCons, to identify the best
way to set this up to "build" with SCons.

> "Is there some syntax in the source file?"
> The source file is an APDL script file, so it is a text file with APDL
> syntax. Ansys also typically will require a binary database file as a
> dependency, which contains finite element nodes and elements. You could
> generate these with a script, but it’s most often done interactively.

How do you specify this dependency to the ansys tools? is this a command in
the APDL file? Is this a command line to a tool?
Other?

> BTW why use tools=['mingw'] ?
> I was getting an error from SCons. I think there is a bug which was
> recently fixed.
> https://github.com/SCons/scons/issues/2813

You should be able to use
DefaultEnvironment(tools=[])
env=Environment(tools=[])

I noticed you said you're running in cygwin?
Is this with cygwin's python? or windows python, but running in a cygwin
bash shell?