[Scons-users] Minimum Version for Tools

Thomas Berg merlin66b at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 07:40:46 EDT 2021

Hi,

On Sun, 20 Jun 2021 at 07:09, Keith Prussing <kprussing74 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My question is: What minimum version of SCons is considered good
> practice to support?  I can work out the details of determining the
> SCons version, but it's rather verbose and ugly (IMHO).
>
> [Tool]: https://github.com/kprussing/scons-pandoc

I don't have an authoritative answer, but at my dayjob we try to support
older SCons versions as long as the code remains reasonable. Neither
developers nor build servers are on the bleeding edge, and 4.0 and 3.6 are
still fairly recent on our timescale. The SCons API usually doesn't see a
lot of breaking changes.

Personally I prefer to try-catch the import instead of explicit version
checks:

try:
    # SCons 4.1.0 and later
    from SCons.Warnings import SConsWarning
except ImportError:
    # SCons 4.0.X and earlier
    from SCons.Warnings import Warning as SConsWarning

This class renaming was the only incompatibility we had to deal with to
support SCons-3.X in our setup, therefore I thought it was worth it.

I did wonder if this API breakage was accidental though, or if it was
intentional.

Cheers,
Thomas