[Scons-users] Random build failure with 'Resource temporarily unavailable' on mac

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Thu Jun 11 13:03:41 EDT 2020

On 6/10/20 4:58 AM, Julien Pommier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an issue that has been randomly annoying me for a few years, when building a largish application on macs. From time to time, the build will fail with this error:
>

> scons: *** [build/darwin/foo.o] write could not complete without blocking

There's a fair bit of mention of this on the internet, and not in an
SCons context... seems related to lots of consule output together with
multiple things happening in a single Python process (i.e. threading, as
happens in scons with a -j N run).

People seem to have workarounds, but not a real solution: getting the
process to spit out less text is one, doing something to disable
non-blocking I/O for stdout (and/or stderr) in the Python process is
another.  Both seem hacky as well.

Not sure if something scons is doing it could do less of or differently
to make it less likely to trigger.