[Scons-users] Need a better message when MSVC caching enabled

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Thu Feb 6 19:30:27 EST 2020

On 2/6/20 2:20 PM, Eric Fahlgren wrote:
> Looks good to me.
>
> My code attempts to avoid the problem altogether by recreating the cache
> whenever a path in any of the cache entries doesn't exist.  I can
> imagine situations where this might produce false positives (someone has
> manually modified the LIB or INCLUDE paths for some other build, which
> don't exist in the current build or something like that), so maybe not a
> perfect solution.  (And the means to determine the sections of the cache
> that actually contain a path is also a bit hacky.)

sadly, anything in this space seems to end up hacky :)

I'm keeping your snippet, and it's quite possible letting things process
in my brain (what's left of it) in the background will figure out how to
pick a better cache-dictionary key - which is along the lines of what
you proposed, though pre-emptive rather than detecting.