[Scons-users] TypeError writing to stderror in MSCommon/Common.py [reformatted]

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Wed Dec 4 10:25:26 EST 2019

On 12/4/19 7:55 AM, Joseph C. Brill wrote:

> For the life of me, I cannot figure out if MSVS 2019 16.4 is supposed to set
> VSCMD_SKIP_SENDTELEMETRY anywhere.

VS Code's FAQ tells you how to disable telemetry.

https://code.visualstudio.com/Docs/supporting/FAQ   (How to disable
telementry reporting)

VS itself doesn't have a nice setting like this, it looks like, and it's
caused a fair bit of consternation on the Internet.  Someone has posted
a recipe for turning it off:

https://gist.github.com/zeffy/f0fe4be391a2f1a4246d0482bbf57c1a

I bet the var is not set at all by default.

I actually ran into the telemetry issue over the weekend when I was
without internet, working on a Windows VM with VS 2019, and a whole
bunch of files accumulated in the temp directory, unsent data. Irritating.

SCons will likely need to adapt to something here. Adding the path to
powershell doesn't seem likely; it's pretty obscure and contains
version-coding, which makes it a poor candidate - humans invoke it
through a shortcut which hides those details, but that's not useful to
SCons.

 > One solution to pass VSCMD_SKIP_SENDTELEMETRY to the scons
environment is to
 > add ‘VSCMD_SKIP_SENDTELEMETRY’ to the vs_vc_vars list:

this one sounds fairly good to me...

Bill?